Friday, March 25, 2016

Hey Doc. Can you PLEASE put on gloves?

If you read my post from orientation two years ago, you will remember that our blood tests at the hospital were taken with NO GLOVES.
That's right. No. Gloves.

Well, two years later, nothing has changed.

First of all, the Korean government sends out health check coupons. Yes! Coupons for medical tests. My friend told me about it last year so I kept an eye out for the mailing and it finally arrived!

Yesterday was the school's birthday so we had off. No school. YAY! I called my friend who works at the big hospital in Suncheon and made an appointment to meet up with her at 8:30 yesterday morning.
I had to fast so no breakfast. (I did sneak a piece of gum in my mouth before getting on the bus. Heck, my stomach was growling.)
I met Ji Young in the hospital lobby and for the next four hours I had EVERY HOLE in my body inspected. 

I had blood tests taken for liver, cholesterol and kidney issues. Hearing, eyesight, dental and EKG exams. Weight and height checked. Chest-x ray. Mammogram. Cervical cancer exam. My final exam was an endoscopy to check for my stomach.  I had this same procedure performed last year so it was familiar to me but that still did not stop me from gagging as the 12 inch long pipe, with a camera down one end, was inserted SLOWLY down my throat. The doctor kept saying, "Stop gagging. It only delays the exam."  Really, Doc? That's your advice to me? Stop gagging. Honestly, I squeezed Ji Young's hands so much, I am sure I left a mark. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he pulled the ten foot long (well that's what it felt like) pipe out of my throat.  I had tears in my eyes, drool on my shoulder and was weak in the knees but it was the happiest I have been in a long time. Nothing like a long pipe down your throat to remind you to count your blessings! LOL. 

All of those tests were...wait for it...FREE! Free! Free!
That's right. F. R. E. E.
I did not pay one. Red. Dime. Or rather, I did not pay one. Green. Won.

It is a part of the government's initiative to keep its public workers healthy. The health tests are incentives and, based on your age, are sent out every two years.

I am happy to have health insurance right now and to be blessed enough to have these tests taken in this country. It would have been a small fortune back home. All of those tests would have cost over two or three thousand US dollars back in the states.

After Ji Young and I had lunch in the hospital cafeteria, she had to go back to work and I went to the eye doctor. I wanted to see if I was eligible for LASEK surgery. After twenty minutes of waiting and then having a very brief exam by a technician, they told me I was not eligible. Sigh. I am trying to look at the bright side. That money can be used to get new glasses. Win win, right? The glass is always half full.  

After being rejected by the eye doctor, I got on a one hour long bus ride from Suncheon to Jungma dong to try and catch the immigration office to renew my visa for another year. I got off the bus and walked into the office at 5:05pm. Thank God they closed at 6pm. After that I waited for another bus to take me back across town. I got off the bus at the bus terminal in Gwangyang-eup to buy tickets to Gwangju this Saturday for the essay judging contest.  Then I stopped by the NH bank near the roundabout to transfer money for a trip coming up next month. Finally I was at the bus stop to go back home at 7pm. Exhausted.

Sigh. It had been a looooooong day but at least it was very productive. I got a lot of stuff done so I was tired but happy. By 8pm last night, I was showered, in my pajamas and eating dinner. It would have been nice to relax on my day off but it is very rare that I have a chance to get things done in the middle of the week. 

Oh, yeah. 

I barely blinked with the guy drawing my blood had no gloves on and only used hand sanitizer between patients.  That's when you know you are getting used to this culture. When things that used to shock you, become too normal to you.

Unlabeled meds. Buses running through red lights. No gloves used while drawing blood. Yup. Very normal.

Oh, Korea, I am becoming a native!!  FIGHTING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment