Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Shout-out to Brothas and Sistas of South Korea fb group (BSSK)

Sometimes when you are not sure you can do something, the best motivator is to see someone else doing it.  

When I was researching jobs in Asia, I felt overwhelmed with the possibility of living on the other side of the globe, so far away from everything that was familiar. Then I stumbled across the "Brothas & Sistas of South Korea" fb group. It had over 5000 members (people of color) at that time. (It now has over 7200 members.) Members who had lived, currently lived or were about to live in South Korea. I spent days reading the files. It was a safe haven for those people of color who lived in Korea and needed a place to share information, vent and laugh about their shared experiences in So Ko,  the country of the morning calm. 

After about a week of reading the stories in the group, I was confident that I could survive and maybe even thrive in Asia. If over 5000 Black folk could go halfway across the world and teach English, then dammit, so could I! It really helps to see others doing what you are initially scared of starting. 

2 years of living and thriving in So Ko.  I hope that anyone reading this blog understands how do-able it is to live and work outside of your home country. 
It is okay to have fear, but don't let that stop you from living a bigger life. 

Don't let anything (or anyone) stop you from living a bigger life

Take a risk. 

You never know what is on the other side of that passport.









No comments:

Post a Comment