Friday, June 13, 2014

"Teacher! Teacher! Your hair in my classroom."


I recently traveled an hour to have my hair rebraided in Gwangju. The woman is from Nigeria and braids out of her living room. It was a referral from another teacher. This teacher's braids looked beautiful so I took her at her word. I paid full, "back home" prices to have my hair braided here so I was expecting a great product.

Well, there is a difference between someone who braids for money and a professional.

My hair was braided last friday, a week ago. By the time I went to bed that night I had lost two braids from the back of my head.  By Monday, I was up to five. I was afraid of losing hair in my place of work and having to explain to my students why I was dropping hair like breadcrumbs in a fairytale. So I would make a ponytail in my apartment each morning and not touch my hair again until I got home.

Well, I made it ALL the way to Friday afternoon, lol.
All my classes were over for the day and I stopped by another teacher's classroom to speak with her.
One of the students approaches me and say, " Teacher! Teacher! Your hair in my classroom!"
I froze then blinked and asked him to repeat himself.
" Teacher! Teacher! Your hair in my classroom!"
Yup, I had heard right.

I leaned down, smiled at the student and kindly asked him to bring my hair back to me from the classroom.
He ran off to get my hair and I sat down, shaking my damn head, lol.
He came back in a few minutes with my braid, handed it to me with both hands, politely.
I thanked him sweetly and carefully placed my hair in my bag to take home.

Again, shaking my damn head, lol. 





No comments:

Post a Comment