Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bacon(?) and egg sandwich for breakfast

So, I had my heart set on cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast. I am still trying to get used to the Korean diet. Grocery shopping is expensive. Beef and chicken are so pricey that I would need to sell off some valuables to buy them on a regular basis. But pork is reasonable. So I bought a ten dollar container of bacon and a dozen eggs.

I poured the oil into the frying pan and put in the chopped onions. The smell was soooo good. My mouth starting watering early. Then I poured in the eggs and scrambled it around the frying pan. My stomach was talking to me, y'all. It was saying hurry up!! Feed me!! I took the finished eggs out of the pan and laid out my bacon strips, one by one, into the frying pan. My head was getting woozy from the anticipation. I almost had to sit down. 

Then...hmmmmn...the bacon was looking a little different..the fire was making it shrink but not the familiar shrinkage. I turned over the strips and watched them curl up in a fetal position. 

Why was my bacon sad?

Well, my mind was already made up. This was the most American meal that I have had since coming to this country and, like a bad relationship, I was determined to make it work. I turned off the fire and put the eggs and bacon between two slices of white bread. My teeth sank into the sandwich. My mouth chewed it gratefully. 

Then...hmmmnnnn...my mind was trying to pose a question that my stomach was not prepared to answer. Why was my teeth and tongue finding hard little pieces of something? Why does my bacon have bones in it? Little small white pieces of bone.

Do you think that stopped me? HECK NAW!! I chewed my boned bacon and egg sandwich and every so often, spit out the little bones pieces. Was my bacon and egg sandwich good? HECK YEAH!! 
It made my stomach smile.




 What part of the oink oink is this? Does anyone know?

(UPDATE: Just found out this is pork belly. Yes, pork belly.)












No comments:

Post a Comment