Sunday, April 20, 2014

Is that a needle in your pocket...?


As English language teachers, we are required to take (and pass) an AIDS and drug test. Now, I tested negative recently for HIV during last year's annual physical exam, back home. I also do not do any type of recreational drugs. This country, however, requires all foreign teachers to take these tests in order to teach their children. We were told to fast after 9pm on Thursday night in order to be ready for the tests on Friday morning. Some of us are familiar with these tests and questioned the need for a fast. We were told, basically..."when in Rome...fast after 9 pm". So we did, sorta. OK, some of us hungrily drank water behind our coordinator's back. How da heck are we suppose to pass urine after not drinking for 12 hours?! By 3am, we were swallowing our own spit for hydration. (Gross right?)

I get migraines when I do not eat on a regular schedule. By the time we got on the bus to the hospital, I was light-headed and saw stars. Not KPop stars but little tweety birds circling on top of my braids. I was determined to pass these two tests. There had been no over-the-counter drugs in my system for over a week. I had, however, taken the twinflex Hepatitis A&B immunization shots a week before. I was concerned that it would give a false positive and they would scream DRUG ADDICT and then drag me kicking and screaming back to the airport. Seriously, if you fail either test, you can pay for a more thorough test but if that comes back with an F, then you have to pay for your own ticket back home. See ya later!

The hospital staff was well coordinated and the testing of 60 teachers went off without a hitch. The nurses did not use gloves, which was VERY interesting.

A couple of us (not me, thank God) fainted after having our blood drawn. I was nauseous and vomited a few times that day BUT it was worth it because we ALL PASSED!!!! Wooooohooooooooo!!!!! I have never been so happy to pass a test in my life. 

Happy dance!!! We all get to stay!






No comments:

Post a Comment