Thursday, April 24, 2014

Singing dancing and getting merry

Last night Mary, Aretha, Corey, Chris and I went to the karoake bar to celebrate completing the week-long training. It had been a very stressful, anxiety-filled week and we were all glad it was over. There was lots of alcohol and bad singing. Corey and I stuck to aqua on the rocks but we still had a great time together. This was my first time at a Korean karoake bar and I sang until I lost my voice. We started off with Brittany and, three hours later, ended with Journey.

Did you know that the way you sound singing in the shower is NOTHING like the way you sound live? I had always thought I sounded like Whitney Houston. Instead I sounded like Elmo! LOL.
Who knew?

It was sooooo much fun!!! ( I was trying to post the video here but kept having trouble sorry)




This morning was full of packing, cleaning and anxiety. Today was the closing ceremony for the orientation and we would get to meet our co-teachers. The relationship that you have with your co-teacher can make or break your time in Korea. There have been horror stories of bad co-teaching relationships that would drive teachers running and screaming from the job. Then there are the wonderful stories, full of meadows and sunshine. It really was a toss of a coin. We all crossed our fingers and I said a quick prayer that God would bless me with a wonderful, kind co-teacher who would not resent me and my job.

The closing ceremony went well. I met my co-teacher, Holly, who seemed very pleasant. We packed up all of our suitcases into the co-teachers' cars and then had our last lunch together as a group. The cafeteria was loud with relieved chatter. We all seemed to have gotten lucky. Fingers uncrossed.

After lunch, Holly and I rode for over an hour to the immigration office. We paid 32,000 won to apply for my ARC card that will allow me to legally work in this country. We then drove directly to the bank to set up my international bank account. I received an old-fashioned bank booklet and debit card. I was also able to wire 200,000 won to the previous teacher who had sold me alot of his used appliances and bicycle. Then we drove to my new apartment. We made five trips from the 6th floor to the 3rd floor to transfer the former teacher's items to my new apartment. This took an hour!! Yikes. Then we went to meet the principal at the school. He only spoke five words of english. True story. He basically interviewed me by asking my co-teacher all these questions about me. He even asked about my braids. I did the universal foreigner response- smiled and nodded my head every time he looked at me. Well the interview must have gone well, because at the end he started smiling at me and gave me his business card. He also suggested, through Holly, that we exchanged language lessons. He would help me to improve in his language and I would help him in mine. I agreed. Heck, by this time, I would have agreed to anything!!

Holly gave me instructions. Every morning, I am to arrive at the school by 8:40am. I go to the principal's office and greet him formally and bow. Then I make my way to the library and wait for either her or one of the homeroom teachers. Again... I nodded and agreed. I will agree to anything if you will just let me take a shower and relax, Pleeeeeeeese.

Finally, Holly walked me back to the apartment. The school is a three minute walk uphill from the apartment. I hugged her tight and thanked her for everything. See, the co-teachers are not compensated for driving over 2 or 3 hours to pick us up, take us to the bank and the immigration office, etc. I was grateful and felt blessed that Holly was a sincere sweet person.

Took a shower, swept and getting ready for bed. Sorry if this is disjointed but that is exactly how I feel right now. Tomorrow is the first day of school. Friday. It will be a day of introductions and first impressions. I pray that God will guide my next steps.


Goodnight. I will tell you how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment