Friday, April 18, 2014

"My Fear is my only courage...so I've got to push on through" Bob Marley, No Woman No Cry

The flight from JFK airport to Incheon, South Korea was a 14 hour direct flight. I was lucky enough to reserve a window seat. The airline provided a nice, colorful screen to map our journey from New York city, over Canada, the Pacific Ocean and to our destination, "the country of the morning calm". I have always considered myself a bit of a "super woman". My type-A personality helps me to get things done in chaotic situations and has always served me well.

Well, halfway across the ocean, my 3-year old self came out and wanted her teddy bear and to suck her thumb. I looked around the quiet cabin, full of sleeping passengers and started to panic. WTF was I doing? Why didn't someone, anyone, who considered me a true friend, talk me out of this crazy idea? I should have stayed in my lane! I'm a Black girl raised in Newark. I did not belong in Asia.

Maybe if I asked the pilot really sweetly, he would do a u-turn and drop me back off home as a favor? Possibly. Then... I calmed down and remembered the several months of paperwork and background checks. The pricey certification program and the many hours of re-studying english.

This was a conscious, well-thought-out decision on my part.
It was just cold-feet on a long plane ride to an unknown country.

WHEW!!

Once I took a deep breath and said a quick prayer, I calmed down and watched Rocky I and II for the first time. Adrian!!! Adrian!!! I know I am several decades too late but...that movie ROCKS!!!!
Adrian!! Adrian!! lol!








My fear is my ONLY courage...so I've got to push on through.

Everything is going to be just fine.

1 comment: