Monday, April 28, 2014

A-1 Deli incident

I was reading nj.com today  and read about a murder that happened at the deli on the same block as my old job. It happened at 3am this past Saturday morning.  I wanted to cry because a 25 year old man died, trying to defend a woman who was hit by a man, with a beer bottle. The specifics are not as important as the fact that the young man did not have to die. It was a senseless crime and should not have happened. It is hard to be in another country and have your country break your heart. The gun violence in the US is overwhelmingly sad and I hope one day we will realize that and find a real way to decrease, if not eliminate it.

I try to read cnn.com and nj.com regularly in order to stay abreast of what is happening in my region and country. But sometimes it puts sadness in my heart. I feel just as helpless to change it here as I felt when I was on American soil. I thought when the babies were shot in school last year and the president cried as he read the announcement that things would change. (sigh)

I will pray for the young man's family as they deal with their loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment