Saturday, May 3, 2014

Gifts for Principal and Co-teachers

Gifts for co-teachers and principal (slightly mandatory)

The Principal is the top dog in any school but more so in S Korea.  Any gift that is given to the principal has to be the best gift. He should also receive any similar gifts that the other teachers get. For instance, I bought the principal of my primary school an “I love NY” double shot glass. I gave another to my primary co-teacher, along with a NY key chain, 2 postcards, teacher posters and stickers for the students. Before I can give the other teachers the postcards that I have for them, I have to (should) go back and make sure the principal has the BEST keychain and postcard before distributing the postcards to the other teachers.  

Really?

The hierarchy here is alive and kicking. When you are in someone else’s country, you have to abide by their customs or risk being ostracized or worse, not invited to play volleyball with all the other teachers! Oh no, I am just starting to get the ball over the net!



No comments:

Post a Comment