Friday, May 16, 2014

Get on the (wrong) bus

So I got on the wrong bus yesterday. I was downtown and was a 5 minute bus ride away from home. There are two buses that are very similar, the 99 and the 99-1.

Well, I had seen both buses leave my area and had taken both downtown, so I figured that both would go back up the mountain to my house.  

I jumped on the 99-1 and figured, what da heck? It should take me home. Well, it went up to a familiar light and just as I was starting to relax in the front seat, the bus made a RIGHT TURN and sped off in the wrong direction. Well, the right direction for the bus but the wrong direction for me. No! I tensed up and then decided to think positive and go along for the adventure instead of jumping off a moving bus.  

Well, the adventure took me one hour through Suncheon, a metropolitan area. We rode past the university, police station, post office, stores, stores and more stores. The driver took on more and more and more passengers. I finally gave up my front seat to an old man. The driver took on so many passengers that at one point there were two girls riding the bus on the front steps near the driver. Unbelievable. I grew concerned when I could not look past all the passengers to see when the bus driver was back in my neighborhood. Even being the tallest on the bus, did not help me to see past the bodies packed like sardines.

Finally, I thought I saw a familiar landmark through the window! The green overpass near the house.  I reached past a few heads and pushed the button twice. The bus and all her passengers leaned forward as the driver braked.  I tried not to push as I pushed my way through the bodies to the back door saying “excuse me, excuse me, EXCUSE ME”  as if they understood me. I got to the back door and it was starting to close. I yelled out a little desperately “Trying to get out, please open the door again”. The driver reopened the door and I, happily, jumped off the bus and almost skipped to my apartment building.  When I got in the apartment, I took a breath and fell across the bed. 

Home at last. 






No comments:

Post a Comment