Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Yup. Lost another "friend".


Sooooo.....I lost another friend. But I should've looked at the warning signs from our first phone conversation. Instead I pushed past my instincts and the red flag and pursued a friendship with this woman. Only after it blew up in my face did I realize that it was my mistake for trusting someone in this country.

If you have read this blog from the beginning in 2014, you will know that a majority of the expats here are... ummmm, social rejects or running away from major issues in their home countries. I was one of the ones running away from my stressful life back in the states. This woman was carrying mental illness and refused to acknowledge that she needed healing. We all need healing for growth. If we are too rigid to understand that then our connections with other people will suffer. 

Anyway, I will not ever, EVER attempt to trust anyone else living
 here. I mistakenly thought I had found a real lifelong friend and even introduced her to my family, which I never do unless there is sincere trust. During an argument she threw my family back in my face. That cut me deep, Shrek.

So, no, the friends that I've had for more than 25 years are the ones I will keep. No more crazy expats.
My plate has been full of crazy nuts in South Korea. 
Naw, son, no more nuts. I'm good. 

______________________________________________________

Update - 4 months later
I've had time to reflect on this. The Korean-American woman and I did not share values so that was never a real friendship. The SA woman had issues that need to be addressed. When you can tell me five times that someone was talking about me and that you had to defend my name...well, there is something wrong with that. 

Why would you choose to keep that malicious person in your life? Don't you deserve good people in your life? Or is being "the defender" a badge you wear with honor? It makes you feel good about yourself? Dude, that sh@t gets tired. 
Keep on living. You will see who your real friends are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment