Sunday, April 17, 2016

SNAPPED...in Korea (2016)



Saturday  April 16th, 2016     11:30pm
I don’t even know how to tell this story.

After two years of playing the role of humble foreigner who is respectful of  Korean culture and its hierarchy …I finally snapped. In a BIG WAY.

Here’s what happened.
This morning I met up with my friend, Chris, who is leaving to go back home to Canada next Sunday.  Today was our last day to see each other. We were both in the same orientation class in April of 2014 and I am really going to miss him. So we met up, had a buffet lunch, saw a movie, went eye-shopping in downtown Gwangju, and even saw a flash mob dance in the rain. It was a really great day. At 8:30 pm I hugged and kissed my friend and said my good-byes.

It was really windy and rainy and I was finally able to hail a taxi after getting soaked for about five minutes. I got into the taxi and said hello and then asked him to take me to U Square bus terminal. He said something in Korean and I replied “bus nay”. He started to drive and said something else, but I just nodded and looked out the window. I was hoping to catch my 8:50 bus.  The driver said something else to me but I ignored him because my Korean is minimal. I did not want to attempt a conversation. I just wanted to catch my bus to get home.

Our taxi gets stuck in traffic at a red light one minute later, the driver puts the car into park, says something then does the blowjob gesture (fingers put into an O shaped and moving back and forth towards the mouth) then he says in clear English, “Are you hungry”?  He then leans over the front seat at me and chuckles.

Now, if any ladies are reading this, you know there is a certain look/leer and sinister chuckle that a man gives when he has said something sexually inappropriate.  Well, tonight I found out that this is universal across cultural boundaries. I realized what he meant and said to him loudly, “I am American. BE CAREFUL.” I repeated it. What I meant was that I was raised in Newark. Watch yourself, fool.  He must have gotten my meaning because the rest of the taxi ride was quiet.

My spirit was upset. I was thinking, “Did this motherf@cker just ask me if I was hungry for his little d@ck”? I felt disrespected and small. This guy had the nerve to feel that he had a right to say something that disrespectful to me? Why?

Because you disrespect your own Korean women so you feel it is ok?

Why?

Because I am a “stupid lowly” foreigner so you feel you can treat me like sh@t?

Why?

Because I am an “oversexed” Black woman and you thought I would welcome this kind of treatment?

Well, I decided that I before I got out the cab I would tell him (in English) that he was rude and disrespectful and leave his door open when I got out. I know it sounds stupid but that was all I could think of to do to show him my anger. 
So he finally gets us to U Square bus terminal. I throw his money at the front passenger seat, say the words I had decided to say, rolled down his window and left the car door open after I walked away from the taxi.

I was already in the door of U Square when he got out of his seat to close the door. But he started talking shit because I had left the door open.

Well, I SNAPPED. When I say SNAPPED, I mean SNAPPED. I walked back to his taxi and started screaming at him, hysterically. I know I was hysterical because I could hear myself screaming at him at the TOP OF MY LUNGS, in a high pitched, shrill voice. And I was raised to NEVER show out in public.  NEVER.

What did I scream – you ask?

YOU STUPID @ASS M@THERF@CKER, F@CK YOU!! F@CK YOU!! I KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS (BL@WJOB GESTURE WITH MY HANDS) F@CK YOU! F@CK YOU!!

I screamed it ten times at the top of my lungs as I got in his face. A crowd gathered and I DID NOT CARE. Because what you NOT GONNA DO, when I came halfway across the world to teach your damn kids, is disrespect me.

What you NOT GONNA do is ask me if I am HUNGRY FOR A BLOWJOB.
What you NOT GONNA do is think you can get away with disrespecting me.
I do NOT care WHOSE country this is.
I do NOT care who you THINK you are.
I do NOT care if you treat your own women like this.
I do NOT care about the “angry Black women fake @ss label”.
Why am I the only one responsible for the image of a whole race of women?
No. No.
Because what you NOT GONNA DO is disrespect me.

A woman who spoke English came over to me and said maybe I misheard him. I screamed at her – I KNOW WHAT THIS IS!!! (bl@wjob gesture).
Then I screamed at the driver one last time.

YOU STUPID @ASS M@THERF@CKER, F@CK YOU!! F@CK YOU!! I KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS (BL@WJOB GESTURE WITH MY HANDS) F@CK YOU! F@CK YOU!!

After that, I stomped away and went into a bathroom stall inside of U Square.
My hands were shaking. My blood was boiling and I wanted to scream!

Finally I calmed down enough to go and exchange my ticket. (I had missed my bus). Five minutes later I was sitting on a bus riding back to my hometown.
My hands were still shaking.
I put my arms around myself, leaned my head against the window and cried.
I cried because he thought it was ok to say that to me.
I cried because it takes so much emotional strength to be in this country.
I cried because it gets so hard being a “zoo animal” and “other” all the time here.
I cried because I was glad I had stood up for myself.

Right now as I write this, I am showered and in my pjs eating ice cream, in my apartment, my safe haven. I have dried my tears.
Tomorrow is a new day. I will sleep this off and be strong again tomorrow.
But tonight…I just need a hug.

______________________________________________________________
**************************************************************
Edited - Nov 2020
This is the clean version that I submitted Nov 2020 to the Chicken Soup series.

I am a Black American woman living and teaching in South Korea. South Korea is a country that has developed fast economically but still has a ways to go socially. Sexism and racism are very common here and feels it feels like 1950s USA. Even after living here for several years, there are still things that happen that leave me speechless. Here is one of my stories on facing sexism from a taxi driver in South Korea one night. It was not my best moment but definitely a life lesson.

 

After three years of playing the role of humble, respectful foreigner of South Korean culture and its strict hierarchy, enduring USA’s 1950s sexism and racism …I finally snapped. In a BIG WAY.

 

Here’s what happened.

This morning I met up with my friend, Chris, who is leaving to go back home to Canada next Sunday. I was really going to miss him. So we met up, had a buffet lunch, saw a movie, went window-shopping in the downtown are and even saw a flash mob dance in the rain. It was a really great day. At 8:30 pm I hugged and kissed my friend and said my good-byes. We knew we would never see each other again.

 

It was wet and windy and I was finally able to hail a taxi after getting soaked for about five minutes. I got into the taxi, said hello and then asked him to take me to the U Square bus terminal. He said something in Korean and I replied “bus terminal nay” (yes, the bus terminal). He started to drive and said something else, but I just nodded and looked out the window. I was hoping to catch my 8:50pm bus and was savoring how great my day had been.  The driver said something else to me but I ignored him because my Korean language skill is minimal. I did not want to attempt a conversation and just wanted to catch my bus to get back to my city.

 

Our taxi gets stuck in traffic at a red light a few minutes later, the driver puts the car into park, says something, does a sexual gesture then he says in clear English, “Are you hungry”?  He then leans over the front seat at me, looks over my body and chuckles.

 

Now, if any ladies are reading this, you know there is a certain look/leer and sinister chuckle that a man gives when he has said something sexually inappropriate.  Well, tonight I found out that this look is universal, across all cultural boundaries. I realized what he meant and said to him loudly twice, “I am American. BE CAREFUL.” What I meant was that I was raised on the east coast, New York area. Watch yourself, fool.  He must have gotten my meaning because the rest of the taxi ride was quiet.

 

My spirit was upset. I was thinking, “Did this jerk just ask me if I was hungry for him sexually”? I felt disrespected and small. The good feelings from my great day quickly melted away and disappeared.

This guy had the nerve to feel that he had a right to say something that disrespectful to me? Why?
Because you disrespect your own women so you feel it is ok?


Why?


Because I am a “stupid lowly” foreigner so you feel you can treat me like crap?


Why?


Because I am an “oversexed” Black woman who you thought would welcome this kind of treatment?

 

Well, I decided that before I got out the taxi I would tell him (in English) that he was rude and disrespectful and leave his door open when I got out. I know it sounds stupid but that was all I could think of to do to show him my anger. 

So he finally gets us to the U Square bus terminal. I throw his money at the front passenger seat, mumbled the words I had decided to say, rolled down his window and left the car door open after walking away from the taxi.

 

I was already in the door of U Square bus terminal, a few yards away, when he got out of his front seat to close the open door. But he started talking crap because I had left the taxi’s passenger door open.

 

Well, I SNAPPED. When I say SNAPPED, I mean SNAPPED. I walked back to his taxi and started screaming at him, hysterically. I know I was hysterical because I could hear myself screaming at him at the TOP OF MY LUNGS, in a high pitched, shrill voice, outside of my body. And I was raised to NEVER show out in public.  NEVER.

 

What did I scream – you ask?

 

YOU STUPID JERK, TO HELL WITH YOU!! I KNOW WHAT THAT GESTURE MEANS! TO HELL WITH YOU!!

 

I screamed it ten times at the top of my lungs as I got in his face. A crowd gathered and I DID NOT CARE. Because what you NOT GONNA DO, when I came halfway across the world to teach your damn kids, is disrespect me.

 

What you NOT GONNA do is ask me if I am HUNGRY FOR SEX.

What you NOT GONNA do is think you can get away with disrespecting me.

I do NOT care WHOSE country this is.

I do NOT care who you THINK you are.

I do NOT care if you treat your own women like this.

I do NOT care about the “angry Black women false stereotype label”.

Why am I the only one responsible for the image of a whole race of women?

No. No. NO!

Because what you NOT GONNA DO is disrespect me.

 

A woman who spoke English came over to me and said maybe I misheard him. I screamed at her – I KNOW WHAT HE MEANT!!!

Then I screamed at the driver one last time.

 

YOU STUPID JERK! YOU STUPID JERK! I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT! YOU ARE DISRESPECTFUL! LEARN SOME RESPECT!

 

After screaming, I stomped away and hid in a bathroom stall inside of the U Square bus terminal.

My hands were shaking. My blood was boiling and I wanted to scream!

 

Finally I calmed down enough to go and exchange my ticket. (I had missed my bus). Ten minutes later I was sitting on a bus riding back to my hometown.

My hands were still shaking. My body was trembling with emotion.

I put my arms around myself, leaned my head against the window and cried.

My tears fell because he thought it was okay to say that to me.

The tears fell because it takes so much emotional strength to live in a foreign country alone.

I cried because it gets so hard being a “zoo animal” and “other” all the time here.

But I also cried tears of strength because I was happy to have stood up for myself.

 

Right now as I write this, I’m showered and in my pjs, eating cheesecake ice cream, in my warm bed, my safe haven. My tears are gone and my body is still.

Tomorrow is a new day. I will sleep this off and be strong again tomorrow.

But tonight…I just need a hug.

 




26 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to experience that Sis...your blog resonated with me so much. I'm Jamaican-American (From NYC) and I see the same levels of disrespect and this inaccurate fantasy idea of being oversexed creatures. You did the right thing and never for a moment second guess yourself. We are guests in these countries but it does not give them the right to disrespect us. I'm so proud of you!

    Sending hugs from Guangzhou, China!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Keesh, thanks so much for your hugs. I am Haitian-American. I did second guess myself when I came home last night. For about 15 minutes I thought I had overreacted but then I remembered how small he made me feel in the back of that taxi and I stopped thinking I did something wrong. No one has the right to do that to another person. I agree with you, Keesh, I am a guest in your house but that does NOT give you the right to disrespect me. Hugs back at you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi, Creolenola, thanks so much for the hug! Once I wrote the post, I started feeling better. I slept and ate tons of ice cream today. We have to learn to pamper ourselves when the stress becomes too much. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. SOrry you had that happen to you. I did two tours in Korea (US Army) and yes the men can be just as rude as men anywhere. They are also some o the most humorous people I have ever met on this planet.I hope the rest of your stay is filled with wonder and excitement for the culture there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marvisp, thanks. This sexist act was not specific to So Ko. Many cultures allow this type of behavior to continue. I am enjoying this chapter of my life in the land of of the morning calm. Korea is a beautiful country. If you read any of my other stories you will see that there are ups and downs but I always see the glass as half full and love to dance in the rain. I love having this adventure! So as Koreans say "FIGHTING". Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. I'm very sorry about what happened to you. I'm a native Korean but living abroad now. So at least I know what it is like to live as a foreigner. The stupid driver will never ever dare to do such a thing again to any foreigner because of you. You did a really great job and I was so thrilled and quite pleased what you did to him as I was reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Hyuk Jung, thanks. If the taxi driver never does this to another person then it was worth it. I am happy that you live abroad and can see another point of view. Traveling outside of our home countries opens our eyes in a good way. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've had a similar experience and know what pain these kind of situation cause. I know it's no consolation but know you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Danielle, thanks. For a few minutes I thought I had overreacted but then...NO! I remembered how bad I felt in the back of that taxi. He should NEVER do that to anyone again. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. The moment he leaned back toward you, he made the decision to venture well past inappropriate and disrespectful into threatening behavior. He's damned lucky he didn't touch you, and that you didn't report him to his employer or the police for behaving in a sexually aggressive manner. I sincerely hope that this gave him pause, and sent him the message loud and clear that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. The next girl that gets in his taxi may be spared the same because you were brave enough to take a stand. Hugs to you. ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lorrie. I am glad he did NOT touch me. It would have been even worse for him. I agree with you and hope the next person will be spared. Today is Monday and I feel much better now but it still makes me angry when I reread the post. Thanks for the hugs. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  8. Sankofa, I am pissed this happened to you but also really appreciate you posting about it. I'm also Afro-Caribbean American (Barbados what up!), am married to a Taiwanese American and travel to Korea usually once a year. Even though I am light skinned, the racism that we experience is incredible. People regularly act like they are completely horrified to see us together. Our first time in Korea, a guy tried to knock me over on the subway. In one restaurant people looked so upset I kind of wondered if they were going to ask to have me thrown out.

    I've gotten really good at staring back at people. I still really like things about Korea so I will continue to travel there, but the first time it was a major shock, and it's taken a few visits to get used to it.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share in solidarity and say also that I appreciate you speaking out about this because sometimes people think I am making the anti-Blackness up. Korea has a real problem with it, which is sad since they love our music styles so damn much.

    And your experience shows that misogynoir is a global problem. Thanks for writing and speaking out. Keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chanda, I get stared at a lot because I am almost six feet tall, with chocolate skin and long braids. I look COMPLETELY different from Koreans. I have even gotten shocked looks/gasps/hand to heart when I come out the bathroom stalls. Some are curious but I have gotten looks of disgust. When I see those looks of disgust, I remember how strong and beautiful I am. I put my chin up and keep it moving. Their ignorance is their problem, NEVER mine. I never back down. I have Haitian warrior blood running through my veins. I am glad you continue to visit Korea. It is a beautiful country. Thanks for sharing your story, reading and commenting.

      Delete
  9. Im so sorry that happen to you. That is very disrespectful and humiliating. You do have your sista's in Japan we are not that far, so do not ever think you are alone. Just so damn disrespectful. I wish I was there. I would of give him an ear full and reported his ass for sexual harassment. Next time please write down the time and taxi number, call the police and cry and scream and report it. Even you have to go over board and fall out do it. That is very shameful in Korea. You should come to Japan and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Queen. Yes, next time I will try and be more clear-minded to get his info and create a paper trail. It is difficult here because in Korea, the foreigner is almost always wrong. It is an uphill battle to win any legal battle against a Korean here. It can happen but usually the victim is offered money to make the situation go away quietly. Many expats have said the country treats foreigners better than ten years ago. Wow! So things are actually better now! I would love to visit Japan again. Hit me up on fb. Thanks for reading and for your comments.

      Delete
  10. Sending you a big HUG from me... your filipina sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leen, thanks for the big hug! One of my co-teachers is Filipina. She is married to a Korean with two cute little boys. She is the sweetest person. She is very helpful to me because she has lived here for eight years and knows how difficult it is for foreigners. Because she is not Korean, Chinese or Japanese, she has it worse than the other foreign teachers here. Her struggle is worse than ours but she is very strong and resourceful. I thank God for her everyday. Thanks for reading and for your comments, Leen.

      Delete
  11. I saw this through a Facebook repost. You have my support and understanding. I'm a white male American, and I've lived in Korea. I know the shit foreigners take in Korea, I am aware of the shit black people take in America, I am aware of the shit women take everywhere, and I even have some notion of the issues black women face. I know why you were taught to keep it together. And I so totally get why you snapped. Korea can be tough, and that driver was so far out of line, he created a new dimension. Thanks for telling your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Josh. Thanks for the support. Since you have lived here, you know EXACTLY how foreigners are treated. It is not easy being treated as "other" all the time but I choose to focus on the beauty of this country. I travel and take lots of amazing pictures. So it is all good. I hope the taxi driver will never do that to another person- Korean or foreigner. Thanks for reading and for your comments.

      Delete
  12. they punk selves always trying to say we misheard something. Never going back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Niesha. Asian culture is about "saving face". The woman was trying to give me a chance to back down from my statement without the driver having to apologize for his misbehavior. That is why this kind of sexist behavior continues to happen. There is a lot of beauty in this country. I hope if you visit again you will see that beauty. Thanks for reading and for your comments.

      Delete
  13. Good for you! I am so glad you told him off! You did the right thing! I am a white, female, American, feminist and I have been living in South Korea for 6 years now. Thanks for standing up for women everywhere! That woman that doubted your story really disgusts me. I really hate when women do not protect other women, but instead try to protect the offending male. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Corinna. Yes, she was protecting him but because she was Korean, I understood her actions. I have seen that behavior before when the students act up in class and the Korean teachers dismiss their bad behavior or minimize it. It just allows the bad behavior to continue. It felt good to stand up for myself here. Thanks for reading and for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  14. Good for you! I was sexually assaulted in Korea. You are strong and I value people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Natalie. There is minimal gun violence here but there are high incidents of sexual harassment and assaults. I feel a strong undercurrent of frustration and suppressed anger in this society. It comes out in the drinking culture and in the way women are treated sometimes. I am very sorry that happened to you here. I hope you are on your way to healing. Thanks for reading and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete