Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bike much?


This Sunday morning I forced myself out of bed at 6am and went bike riding for over an hour downtown. Now this may not sound impressive to you but I have lots of anxiety about riding my bicycle in my little city. Part of my anxiety stems from the "zoo animal" factor and I am terrified of getting hit by a car in this country. I have heard many stories of foreigners getting hit just for walking across the street, let alone riding a bike and possibly being a distraction for local drivers. 

My first goal today was to ride down to the bus terminal. I did that. YES! Then I said I would make it to the 7 Eleven store. Did it.  DOUBLE YES!

Then I rode alongside the river for a while and took pictures. It felt really great to feel the breeze and enjoy the fresh air. The last time I rode my bike near the river, I was with my girlfriend. She moved far away a while ago but going solo was fun, too. I am used to doing activities by myself here. At first I was lonely because I am so used to being around my family but I have gotten used to my own company. Now I have to practice riding during rush hour when there are lots of cars and buses. I have seen many senior citizens slowly riding their bikes, tractors and mopeds downtown so I am using images of them as motivation. 

If they are not afraid of being hit by a motor vehicle then I should not be either, right?










No comments:

Post a Comment