Thursday, May 19, 2016

Self image in So Ko



Maintaining a strong self-image in South Korea is difficult but necessary. Koreans are VERY frank and will tell you that you are fat or ugly. They are also not used to seeing
dark-skinned, tall women like me. If you come to this country with a poor self-image, you will get eaten alive by all the constant staring, whispers, laughs and pointing. The straight forward comments about everything from your hair to your skin to your body will also irritate you.

I already know that there is no comparison between me and a Korean woman. Our body frames, hair texture and facial features are very different.  I ignore their criticisms and just keep "doing me".  Comparing yourself to other people will only waste your time and make you feel bad about yourself. Don't do it.

Being here has increased my self confidence simply because I have HAD to learn to love myself more in order to survive being here. I love my chocolate skin, my full lips and my long limbs ever more now than two years ago when I first stepped off of the plane.

So if you don't look Korean (or like the majority) and can't blend in, be thankful for your uniqueness...and "do you".













No comments:

Post a Comment