Thursday, July 24, 2014

In the company of Old Men

Yesterday after work, I went downtown to check on the schedule at the bus terminal. After leaving the terminal, I notice small crowds of old men in the park at the edge of the round-a-bout traffic circle. There were more than fifty men all over the age of 70 seated on the ground and benches playing cards. I strolled over and tried to discreetly look over the shoulders of the old men to see what card games they were playing. I got the usual stares and whispers.

Finally one of the old men offered me a cup of coffee which I took and drank slowly. The cards were small and red and the games were played with passion. There was even a scorekeeper, with a notebook, recording the stats. Eventually after the stares and whispers, an old man with a straw hat invited me to sit with them. They asked me a bunch of questions in Korean and flirted with me endlessly. I stayed for an hour and a half. Enjoying the breeze and the company of a bunch of old men who were happy to have a young woman they could flirt and smile with for a little while.  I think I was more grateful for their company than they were of mine.

As I left, one shouted "I love you". I smiled and thought "I love you too". 








No comments:

Post a Comment