Sunday, July 6, 2014

Happy 4th of July! Dude, where's my hotdog?

4th of July this year was different than any that I have ever had. For instance, I had to go to work today. There was no day off, no fireworks, no hamburgers or hotdogs. So a few of us wanted to celebrate the US's and Canada's Independence days with a potluck dinner. I picked up a delicious cake from one of the franchise bakeries downtown on Thursday and hopped the bus to Gwangyang-si to another newbie's house after work on Friday.

I had only been to her house by car before and got off of the bus near the blue and white overpass (per her instructions).  I called her after getting off the bus and she walked down to a blue and white overpass. It was almost like playing Marco Polo. Yup, it was the wrong blue and white overpass, lol.  Who knew there were so many overpasses painted blue and white? I hopped a taxi, the driver called the translation service (#1330) and I  made it to her house.

There ended up being five of us there, 4 newbies and one teacher on her second year here. There was beer, cheap wine and wine grapes (loved it!).  The experienced teacher had worked as a chef in her previous life and she made us miniature hamburgers with little condiments. Our host made a pasta dish. Another teacher bought a vegetable dish and watermelon.  We vented, bragged about our students and laughed at some of our sillier experiences in Korea.  I missed the last bus and ended up sleeping in one of the teacher's empty apartment overnight. It was a sweet evening, filled with a good meal, funny stories and good people enjoying what life brings.













No comments:

Post a Comment