Thursday, August 6, 2020

Surgery alone in Korea ~ part 2


















The sky wept for me today. 
Lots of tears and moans of thunder. 
The sky's tears embraced me and allowed mine to flow freely and easily, too.

My Daegu friend's friend came early for the surgery. He bought smiles and words of encouragement. He helped (with the nurse) to push my bed from my room, down the elevator and into the surgical department. At the door of the surgery room, the nurse stopped him and had him sign some document. He smiled back at me as I said "FIGHTING", Korea's symbol of endurance.

I cried after they told me they would have to cut my wedding ring. I almost cried when I did not meet my experienced main surgeon prior to the surgery.

But then my tears stopped flowing.
After they gave me the wonderful sleeping syrup, I closed my eyes and began to recite Psalms 123~ The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want...."

...........................................................................................................................

When I woke up, I was being transferred by hospital bed back to my room. I was in pain and dizzy and weak and...not alone. Mr Kim was right there by my bed, again giving me words of encouragement. One of the young nurses rubbed my back and arms and legs and kept saying "no sleep, no sleep" for 90 minutes...until she finally counted down the minutes and seconds and finally, gratefully allowed me to sink into sleep's peaceful darkness.

My wound was covered with a huge clay-like bandage and my right arm had an IV. My neck had many dark bruises from the pressures of the surgical movements.
There was a tube from my wound to a grenade-like container.

But I was alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment