Saturday, October 18, 2014

Chestnuts roasting over a ...hey is that a maggot?!

Ok, first a disclaimer.
I was raised a city girl. My food and nuts come to me wrapped in plastic and ready to either cook or eat. Leah, another English teacher, and I went to Suncheon to hang out in the open market and get some sun. We picked up some things and bought them home. Well a few weeks later I noticed small maggots on the floor. I swept it up and tried to figure out if there was something dead beneath the floorboards. I called my co-teacher who called the landlady to visit the apartment. Turns out if you leave a bag of chestnuts in a plastic bag for three weeks maggots will appear.

Seriously?
The only thing I know about chestnuts is the Christmas song.
How in the world am I suppose to know how to store chestnuts that were picked up from the mountains?
There were never processed so I figured anything natural can stay outside of the fridge, right?

WRONG.
I was suppose to freeze them to avoid the maggots.

My co-teacher and I shared a good belly laugh over this.





No comments:

Post a Comment