Thursday, April 25, 2024

Eating out the trash...

 




I come to school early most days. Leave my house at 6:20am, walk down the mountain and catch the 6:30 bus to the next town over. Then I walk about five blocks to my school from the bus stop.

Walking to my school this morning, I saw an old man standing next to a bike near a food recycle bin. 

Food recycling is mandatory in South Korea. Every school, office building and apartment complex provides these big color specific trash cans to put disposed food in. So there are food trash cans outside many small buildings countrywide.


6:49am I saw the old man near the trash can. He froze when he saw me but that is a common reaction to my presence (in Korea) so I continued to walk by. Something made me look back and he had opened the big trash can and was looking for unspoiled food on the top of the disposed food. 

It made me sad that someone has to live like that.

It is probably a normal early morning routine. 

I usually do not walk that way from the bus stop, my normal route would've avoided seeing him. 

I did not take a picture of the old man out of respect for another human being but I did take a picture of the food trash can outside the back of my school's back door. 



Lesson 1 - We need to provide basic things for our elders worldwide, food, shelter, clothing and necessary medicine. These people sacrificed for our futures.

There is no reason on this plentiful green Earth that someone's grandfather should be digging in food garbage to get his next meal. 

Lesson 2 - Do your best to save and prepare for your elderly years. You never know what life will throw at you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment