Thursday, July 17, 2014

Mama said KNOCK YOU OUT, I'm gonna KNOCK YOU OUT

I have to move because my building has been sold and will be turned into a nursing home. I mentioned this in my previous post. Well, I asked my co-teacher can I buy some of the furniture that is in my current apartment. She called the landlady on Monday. I asked her again on Thursday and she said she forgot to follow up with her. Then she texts me a couple of hours later and says that the woman would let me have the table, dresser and chairs for $175.

Now, between the time I asked her to follow up with the teacher last week and Monday, another "newbie" teacher reminded me that the school is responsible for providing our furniture, NOT US. So I wanted to see how far my co-teacher was going to take it. Well, she took it to the end. Even though she knows what is in my contract, she was still trying to get over on me. When she told  me the price, I reminded her of the requirements of my contract. She then says she will check with the admin office. She comes back and texts me that the admin office says they do not have room in their budget for my furniture.
Really?
Then how did you expect MY budget to handle it?

Grimy people are all over this world.

So I am moving at 8:30 on a Friday morning in the rain so I do not miss teaching any classes and because my teacher does not want to do anything for me on her own time.

There is a high level of resentment towards the foreign teachers here. There is little respect for us or our jobs. Today I was reminded of both the resentment and the lack of respect. 

Am I pissed off right now?
Yes.

Will I get over it?
Heck yes, lol.

I will vent and then adjust my expectations to the realistic environment I find myself in.
Every job has bs and shadiness involved.  There are just different levels depending on the job.
Feel the anger and then let it go.
(My right hand is still itching to smack somebody right now, lol!)


UPDATE
4 male staffers came to move me at exactly 8:30 this Friday morning. The school must have recognized that they had to go by the contract because they bought the table, two chairs and a desk. There was also a bed and microwave waiting in the apartment. I was very happy and thanked my co teacher for pushing to get those things for me. I told her that I knew she had to push to get them and I appreciated her effort. I also bought "suba" (watermelon) for the 4 male staffers and an ice cream cone for my co teacher to show my thanks.  (I know it was extra but I wanted to squash it and squash it well, lol) I paid my last bill there for a total of $170 (final bill for gas, electricity and three months of management fees) and that is all she wrote. Of course I made sure I got a signed, detailed receipt.
"Homey don't play that".
I am in school now and will unpack after work this afternoon.

Aggravation level HIGH
Pissitivity              HIGH
Free Housing      PRICELESS  (LMAO)

It's ALL GOOD!!



UPDATE TO THE UPDATE
My school played me. The so called "final bill" was BS. I was the one that paid for my furniture in my new apartment, even though by law they are required to provide it for me. It just confirms what I had already heard that Koreans use a contract as a framework and NOT as a legally binding contract. They also know they can take advantage of the foreigners because Korean law does not favor us.
Like I said yesterday morning, It is ALL GOOD.
I am here for a reason and when it is time to leave, I will enjoy the good memories and forget the bad.









No comments:

Post a Comment