Thursday, June 23, 2016

It's not you, Korea, it's me.



Today is Friday. It is Thursday, June 24th back home. I missed a very important graduation today. Birthdays and other important family events have also been missed. I have realized that Korea has worn out its welcome in my life. Two years ago, Korea's benefits in my life outweighed what I lost being here. Now, it is reversed. The benefits of being here has decreased and what I am losing is irreplaceable. Graduations, birthdays, and special family moments will never come again.

I knew it was time to leave when I began my 3rd contract and felt...empty. Most of my real friends had left and there was an entire 12 months stretched out in front of me with only my students and trips to keep me distracted. It is not enough any more. I long for the comfort of the familiar. The comforts of home life and family are calling to me.

I always keep promises I make to myself so the contract will be completed. But...this is my final contract here (God willing). It is time to start a new chapter in my life. Korea was necessary for a brief period in my life but it has worn out its usefulness.  Whenever something in your life takes more than it gives then it is time to move on.

There are no regrets. I am grateful to this country for being a safe haven for me in my time of financial and emotional need. I needed to leave home to clear my mind and focus on the beautiful things in life. Being in this country and experiencing a different culture and amazing landscape has soothed my soul.

Thank you, Korea.




No comments:

Post a Comment